What to Read Next? My To-Be-Read (TBR) Pile: January 2018

1268479Here I am again, caught in the misery created by the almost voided world of "what-to-read-next?". I hate this feeling, the way it slaps you cause you are not doing anything because you are not reading anything as of this moment. The problem is, you want to-- but you don't know what is the perfect book that are you going to read! It is quiet crazy but also fun in a subtle way.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
                I have been hearing a lot of good things about this book for weeks now. This book was also recognized by a lot of award giving groups as one of the best contemporary novel of 2017. These are mainly the reasons why this book got my attention and made me pick a copy from our local bookstore. I do have a hardback copy in my hands now and I am still not fully committed to dive in to it. My mind is still under the waters of fantasy and science fiction and I can still feel that my contemporary vibe is still lost out there somewhere wandering like a noob. I just don’t have the interest yet or the mood to read contemporary YA book but at the same time I am very eager to know why The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is hyped up to the top.

Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman
                In case you don’t know, I am a big fan of Neal Shusterman. The first book that I have read from him was the Everlost (Skinjacker Trilogy #1) back in high school. I can still remember how I ranted on how awesome that book is to my friends and classmates and it made them hate me. It was funny, but I don’t care because Everlost was so epic that I need the entire world to know that. Lately, I finished Neal’s Scythe book and I was really blown away by it. I have read the boom without knowing what the story is and with very low expectations. I guess by that it really helped the book in blowing my brains out. It was for sure one of my most surprising reads of this year (so far). Now, I wan to experience more of Neal’s dark and haunting world and his thrilling and awesome writing style. I saw a copy of Full Tilt weeks ago on one of our local bargain bookstore and I immediately bought it. Now I am considering reading it even though this is a middle grade book and not a YA.

29236299
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
                I have heard a lot of good things about Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I am so thrilled to read these books but unfortunately, I do not have a physical copy yet. As of this moment I still have a pending order on our local bookstore on the Final Empire and I still don’t have a tentative date when will the book arrive in my hands. Because of this excitement I also searched some of Brandon’s crafts and I have found in the bargain book store his stand-alone fantasy novel Warbreaker. I have this book for a while now (3 weeks), but I am still hesitant to grab and read it because I am still deeply and willingly want to start reading Brandon Sanderson’s universe starting on the Mistborn series.

The Magician by Michael Scott
                I know, this book is so old. But I have read and enjoyed The Alchemist back in college, so I just want to continue reading the series and get on with the second book, The Magician. I still don’t have any idea why I did not continue the series back then. Maybe I was just too busy in pharmacy school or I don’t know. I guess a series with such a big potential like this will not answer an “I don’t know” answer, so to give justice, I will continue reading it. The main problem is when is that “when”?

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
                I only read one book from this author and that is Valiant. I have read it back in high school and I found it very dark and haunting. I even thought that it was the first book of the series. Sadly, it was not since it was Tithe that should come before it. I really did enjoy the darkness of that book and the simplicity of the author’s writing style. Now, her new book is a talk of the town for the past couple of weeks as one of the most anticipated release this year (it was released already, I guess last week) and I want to give it a try. I still don’t have any idea when will the physical copy be available here in our place but if worse comes to worst I might give it a shot through e-book or audiobook.

31931941
Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
                I just finished reading Illuminae, the first book of the series, five days ago. I can still smell the awesomeness of that book and I can still feel in my veins the epic and mind-blowing plots that book gave me. I was not prepared reading that book, and I am still suffering an almost “PTSD-like” thing in my life. The third book will come out on March or April, I am not sure, but my soul is screaming that I need to read the second book before the third one comes out. Which I will surely do but as of this moment my brain is not yet ready. I still need to prepare this “entire me” being on an avalanche of epic plots this book prepared for the readers. By the way if you want to check my book review on the first book, Illuminae, please click here.

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
                This is one of the only two YA contemporary on my list as of this moment (the other one is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas). Now this book has been part of almost everybody’s best read in the past two years. That, caught my attention and made me want to pick this book. You know, I am not a fan of contemporary novels. I have this stigma that the genre is boring and dragging. I don’t know. But I have read and enjoyed the books like Aristotle and Dante Discovered the Secret of the Universe, Turtles All the Way Down, We Are the Ants and Simon VS. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, which proves that—contemporary ain’t that bad.

                That’s it for today guys. I am still going to think which of these books on the list I am going to pick and read next. I just finished by the way reading the Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo hours ago (if you want to read my review just click the book review section at the top) and I guess I want to have a rest on books with dark and cold world. I will just let you know what I will be reading next but if you can leave a suggestion as a comment below, I will totally appreciate it. Thank you!

No comments: