Book Review: Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children #1) by Seanan McGuire

25526296
“You’re nobody’s doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.” 

OVERALL RATING: 6.5/10
            STORY: 6.9/10
            CHARACTERS: 7.2/10
            THE FEELS: 7.1/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 6.4/ 10
PLOT: 6.1/10

Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.
But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.
Nancy tumbled once, but now she’s back. The things she’s experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West’s care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.

But Nancy’s arrival marks a change at the Home. There’s a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it’s up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of the matter.

Reading Progress:
January 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2018 –
 61.0% "My heart aching. I am confuse and at the same time hooked by the book. I don't have any idea where will the story lead me."
January 14, 2018 –
 42.0% "I really love how the author effortlessly build the world. I was shocked that I was drawn to it easily. The writing style is stellar and the characters!
I really love Sumi! Sumi is very memorable--her humor and personality! I am loving this book!"
January 14, 2018 – Started Reading
January 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 11, 2018 – Shelved
Review:
This is probably one of the most disappointing books I have read in my entire life. I have heard a lot of good things about this book from the blogs I followed lately-- I trusted their opinions, but sadly, they failed me. I did not like this book! I tried so hard to like it--it did not really connect to me. The bar was not really met and I was really sad and a little angry now.

This book is more like a novella, considering that it is very short-- around 173 pages and I finish it in one sitting for straight 6 hours (with pee and food break of course). I have some things that I like about this book but they were overpowered by the negative and ugly ones.

I really loved the book on the first 30-60 pages. I was really amazed how it easily hooked me. The world building was outstanding and I was impressed how fast the plot moves. I was not bored and I ended up realizing that I was laughing with one of the characters--which I really love--- Sumi! But, that was it. Those are just the things that I like about this book.

I did not like this book not just because my expectations was not met. I actually dived into this book  knowing a little about the story or its elements. What really made me dislike this are:
1. The story was so lame. I mean it was weak and predictable. I was like reading the book and eating a bland-tasteless ice cream at the same time. I cringed all the time.
2. I mentioned that the author got skills on the world building but she just fell short. It was great at the beginning but then it was an avalanche after that. I was still hoping at the middle that the book can recover from the disaster but it just continued to dive below--unstoppable.
3. The potential was there. The ideas were interesting but the execution was really unforgivable. It was a disaster. I don't really see myself reading the next two books in this series. 
4. The characters were flavorless (except for Sumi). They were so fake and I really did not connect to them at all.

This book was almost a joke for me. I felt cheated, like I feel that I just wasted my time reading this craft. I don't know. This one really did not connect to me. I am sorry. I tried. I get the elements behind the story--like the philosophy that can anyone can relate and apply in life, but those were not enough to impress me. 

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: