Book Review: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

“Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right.”
OVERALL RATING: 10/10
            STORY: 10/10
            CHARACTERS: 10/10
            THE FEELS: 9.9/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 9.8/ 10
PLOT: 10/10

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.


But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Reading Progress:
January 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 26, 2018 –
page 210

 45.26% "This is a gem. This is so timely and relevant in our country the Philippines. I feel like all young adult Filipino should read this. I am in love with the characters!"
January 26, 2018 – Started Reading
January 26, 2018 – Started Reading
December 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 8, 2017 – Shelved

Review:
This book changed my life. I was so captivated by this book that I am eager now planning different ways to shove this book to all my friends. This book needs to be heard.

The story is so timely, relevant and important to all Filipino people now (I am not going into this--but if you are a Filipino and you read this book, you will know what I mean). I wish our President and the office of Human Rights will be able read this book. 

I have never read an honest and bold book that tackles police violence, racism, gangs and interracial dating with such finesse. I was really moved by this book and I am pretty sure something within me changed. Everyone needs to hear the voice of this book--an eyeopener that surely screams, how unfair the world is.

The writing style for me was so sincere and honest that I really did not have a hard time connecting to the story. The writer (considering this is her debut) for me did an outstanding job on this gem. Her writing style painted personality, color and skills that needs to be recognized and appreciated.


The world building was impressive. I wished the entire time I was reading the book that I could get a family like Starr. I hoped if only I could trade my current family to her--- I will (no offense). This book gave me a show of how it feels like to be in a black neighborhood--how to live in there. I was pretty entertained on the way this ghetto talked that on some parts of the book I wished I was one. The world of this book was funny, moving, emotional, very honest, and engaging.

The characters were amazing! I loved all of them--especially Nana and Starr's parents. I mean, all of the characters were pretty memorable. I connected to all of them. All were crafted with such rich personalities and were executed in words that you felt like you know them for years. Reading the book feels like you hear them talking to you in front of your face. This book is perfect and I am running out of words on how I am going to praise this book. 


The best thing about this book or shall we say my greatest take away after reading it is the fact that this book --- love. All forms of love crawl and breathe on every pages of this book. All forms of love will be presented to the readers and will creep into their veins. This book is so important in so many ways. After reading this--I will never be the same person as I was before reading the first page of this book.  You need to read this book ASAP!



Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: