Book Review: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

19547856

“Sometimes it seems like everyone knows who I am except me.” 

OVERALL RATING: 9.4/10
            STORY: 9.1/10
            CHARACTERS: 9.8/10
            THE FEELS: 9.9/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 10/ 10
PLOT: 9.4/10

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.

Reading Progress:
January 18, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 18, 2018 –
 54.0% "I did not expect that I will love this book as much as I do now. This book is so good that I am having a hard time putting it down. The characters were amazing! I cannot wait to finish this book and watch the movie soon. I will surely recommend this to my friends."
January 18, 2018 – Started Reading
December 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 3, 2015 – Shelved
Review:
I did not expect this book will blow me away. I finished reading this in less than 24 hours. The characters were so well thought of. They really felt real. Reading the book made me feel like I was part of the story--like I am one of the characters. The characters were perfect that I can totally see myself hanging with them-- talking with them while having lunch. It feels like I knew these characters for a very long time now. I love Simon, Nora, Abby, Nick, Leah, Simon's parents and basically all of the characters. I even loved the flawed Martin guy. The emotions conveyed by the characters were so sincere and were delivered flawlessly through every words in the book. I did not really find a hard time connecting to them. All of the characters were interesting and unique. They will surely stick to me for days, weeks or even months.

The writing style was flawless. I finished the book in less than a day and I guess the credit should not go on how fast I read but should go on how well written the book was. It was so well written that readers will not really have a hard time reading. The writing style was simple, beautiful and flawless. The book was written with well structured plot that you will caught yourself turning page after page after page. 

There were a lot of memorable scenes in the book. I don't want to mention any since I don't want to spoil you guys. I encouraged you to read the book in order for you to know what I awesomeness the book stored for you. This book is probably one of the best contemporary books I have read in my entire life. Knowing also that I am pretty hard on contemporary pieces-- and weighing how I rant on how good this book is, that is enough already to describe how happy I was reading every page of this craft. 

This book made me so happy. I don't like romance--but this book made me blush and giggle on some scenes. I admit it. Yes, I did. I can't stop doing it because the book just have this power or magic that made me do it. This is a very happy book, very light and entertaining.  This book is one of its kind. It was so real and honest. The writing style and characters really impressed me. I am surely going to watch the movie adaptation of this book on the big screen. You need to read this book. It is more than worth it.

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: