Book Review: We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson


“We may not get to choose how we die, but we can chose how we live.  The universe may forget us, but it doesn't matter. Because we are the ants, and we'll keep marching on.

OVERALL RATING: 8.9/10
            STORY: 8.5/10
            CHARACTERS: 9.7/10
            THE FEELS: 9.3/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 8.1/ 10
PLOT: 8.6/10

Henry Denton has spent years being periodically abducted by aliens. Then the aliens give him an ultimatum: The world will end in 144 days, and all Henry has to do to stop it is push a big red button.
Only he isn’t sure he wants to. After all, life hasn’t been great for Henry. His mom is a struggling waitress held together by a thin layer of cigarette smoke. His brother is a jobless dropout who just knocked someone up. His grandmother is slowly losing herself to Alzheimer’s. And Henry is still dealing with the grief of his boyfriend’s suicide last year.

Wiping the slate clean sounds like a pretty good choice to him.
But Henry is a scientist first, and facing the question thoroughly and logically, he begins to look for pros and cons: in the bully who is his perpetual one-night stand, in the best friend who betrayed him, in the brilliant and mysterious boy who walked into the wrong class. Weighing the pain and the joy that surrounds him, Henry is left with the ultimate choice: push the button and save the planet and everyone on it…or let the world—and his pain—be destroyed forever.
REVIEW:
I made a big mistake reading this book after finishing the epic fantasy Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. The transition from a fantasy to a contemporary was a really big mistake. I enjoyed this book but I think I could have enjoyed it more, if only I was over in thinking and dreaming the world of the book Strange the Dreamer.
The book was indeed a good read. The characters were perfect. The plot and the writing style as above average. I was expecting this book to surprise me and that expectations was met. The entire experience of reading this book is memorable and will linger to all readers for hours or day. This book is like a disease, it will creep like a virus inside your system and you will find yourself shock and emotional on some pages or parts of the story.

The writing style was fresh and new. It was the first time I encountered a writing style like Shaun David Hutchinson. I was really entertained and amazed of how well he wrote the book (contemporary) without a dragging and boring element. We all know, most or some of the contemporary books out there suffer in the "oh-boring" syndrome, this book did not fall into that trap. The book was well written that you cannot avoid praising the author. It was written with such creativity that you will surely appreciate.

The characters were memorable. They really connected to me. There will be characters that you will hate, found very annoying, very stupid and strong. Charlie is my favorite character from the book. I don't want to give additional details of why---because I don't want to spoil your reading experience. The characters were well explored and they felt so real. Their personalities felt so real and not rushed that you will find yourself connected to how they feel and act with a blink of an eye (a little bit exaggerated, but you get my point right?).

The plot was not unique but it was surely above average. I have read some book similar to this, but this one was just a step higher-- a step better. The story was so real and not forced that readers will be taken into a roller coaster rides of emotions.  What I really like about this book is that it ended with such a satisfying plot. No plot holes. No questions left unanswered.

Overall, this book was a good read. If only I was really over with the book Strange the Dreamer, I could have given this a five star rating. I enjoyed reading the book, the experience stuck in my heart and soul-- I just felt something was really missing. It was not a big deal but the punch of being a five star maybe? I don't know, but I will surely recommend this book.
Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: