Book Review: The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)

I struggled reading this book. I admit that this is not a perfect read for me. I have so much hopes that this one will blow my mind because this was hyped in the booktube community for ever since it was released. I learned now, do not trust too much on these hypes. 

“Nahri always smiled at her marks.”

This is definitely an over-hyped books. But let us be clear, I am not saying that this is a bad read. I actually still recommend this one to you guys but with low expectations. The problem comes in, which in my case, is when you read this book with high expectations and you might end up unsatisfied and disappointed. So please, this is still a good read. Just lower your expectations and don't be a victim of these hypes in social medias.
This book is a breath of fresh air. It reminds me of a grown up or a mature Kane Chronicles by rick Riordan, the ones I used to enjoy back in high school. This is an adult fantasy with an Egyptian/ottoman background that will definitely give readers a fresh reading  experience. This book was creatively written and you cannot really not see how much research and passion the author put into this one. This is her debut novel and for that quality on a first book, she did amazing!
The book is full of new magic. The magic system is not that common and maybe entirely new to most of the readers. This might be a problem to some since it requires a lot of attention during the world building. Given the unfamiliarity of the magic system, the world and the other major elements, the book for me struggled in the world building. It was so slow and full of details that were so critical in the story that you as a reader should not miss. Now, in my experience I really found myself using Google to search for some terms that really does not ring a bell to me. I came to a point in the book that I was so confused and I considered not finishing it. 
August 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 17, 2018 –
page 368
69.04% "Such a slow burn. I hate to say this but I think I enjoyed And I Darken more than this one!"
August 16, 2018 –
page 277
51.97% "Starts to get better."
August 16, 2018 –
page 226
42.4% "If were to get the fantasy part of this book, this will be more like And I Darken."
August 16, 2018 –
page 192
36.02% "Very complicated and disappointing so far."
August 14, 2018 –
page 91
17.07%
August 14, 2018 – Started Reading 
Aside from that, the last thing I don't like about the book was the constriction of the things to happen. I felt that the story was so constricted and the author is really pulling back of the things that are yet to happen. I do understand that yes, there will be a second book, but as reader like us who just want what is the best from the book, do not deserve this. I felt like we were receiving a bargain quality of the book. I always felt that this book can be so much better if the author just went all the way. Gave us everything. Sad it did not happen. The story has a lot of potential, with these Game of Thrones like political intrigues, I can see this book getting big. 
I don't have anything bad to say about the characters. The characters were actually awesome. They were a lot of them but you'll get a grasp to each of them eventually. They might confuse you at the beginning with the type of names they have but their personalities and flaws will surely hook you and make you love them. The characters were definitely memorable. They will surely leave an impression.
I am still happy though on the experience I got from this book. I was taken into this world where I really found myself unfamiliar and lost. Like I traveled into an entirely different dimension. I love that feeling. This book took my breathes away several times. It is quite an intimidating read for it is a thick book but I assure you guys that this is worth the shot. This book will surely sizzle your inner fantasy fanatic. You will not regret reading this if you are looking for a mind blowing magic adventure with epic wild creatures and fresh world of fantasy!
Overall Rating: 9.3/10
Story: 9.1/10
Characters: 9.6/10
Entertainment: 9.0/10
Feels: 9.1/10
Overall Impact: 9.4/10


Want to read more book reviews? Click here.  

No comments: