Book Review: And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White

I do really have a lot of things to say about this book. I love this book as much as I hate it. It feels weird. I am not saying that this book is bad but I am not also saying that I enjoyed reading it. I am really confuse, probably because the book made me.
“Some victories are merely defeat wearing the wrong clothing”
I don't know where to start. So, okay. First up, the characters. They were average. I mean they were made with sophistication and was really molded consistently all through out the book. There were some that you get to love, hate or love and hate. But, I guess the author just failed to really build or let us just say strengthen the connections of these characters with each other. I just felt that they were amazing individually but their interactions and the way they converse to each other were (almost all but not all) forgettable. Some of you might disagree because of these peculiar love triangle and crazy relationships but I did not really buy it.

The plots were predictable. Sadly, I predicted al of them. Accurately. You know, I just hate it when I found out that I am right (talking about plot guessing). I want books that will really prove me wrong and will really blow my mind. Sadly, this one failed me.

August 6, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 6, 2018 –
page 378
73.83% "Getting better"
August 5, 2018 –
page 206
40.23% "So far, the world building is really slow."
August 5, 2018 – Shelved
August 5, 2018 – Started Reading

The entire book was okay. I don't hate it. I will still recommend it. It started really slow but we need to give it to the author for this massive world building bravado. I just feel that this book has a lot of potential. It could have been gone into something big. This really felt short. I feel bad that the potential was not utilized to the fullest. There is something that is lacking in this book. Like a flare or finesse. If this book is a dish, it lacks some spice to pop it up and give the diner that extra kick.

Overall, this book was worth the read. But I just want to warn you that you just have to lower your expectations on this one. This is a miss or hit. For me it hit me but it did not leave a good impression. I am still looking forward to read the next installment because I have been hearing a lot of good things about it. Hopefully, that one will not disappoint.

If you are looking for an epic Game or Thrones vibe read with schemes and back stabbing and a little bit of action and manipulation, this might entertain you. 


Overall Rating: 8.3/10
Story: 8.8/10
Characters: 7.9/10
Entertainment: 8.2/10
Feels: 8.1/10
Overall Impact: 8.3/10

Want to read more book reviews? Click here.  

No comments: