Update #1: Reading Statistics 2018

In case you don't know, I have committed last December 2017 to read at least 100 books this year. I challenged myself and I admit it is quite ambitious given my job, school and other important matters I have to tend in my life. Yet, I still went for it and so far, honestly, I tagged myself as noob in achieving it. I am way too far from my goal. It is August already, past the two first quarters and I have not reach yet the 50% mark! I know, this is pretty bad. I will not give up though. I will still continue to push through this and see what happens by then end of this year. So ladies and gents, I present to you the reading statistics of the first 44 books I have read this year!

Genre

The genre of books I have read so far this year is not that diverse. I have read mostly fantasy fiction and a bunch also of science fiction. I am also quite surprise on the amount of contemporary novels I have read this year. They are more than my usual percentage of contemporary books I read in a year. I don't know why, I always say that I find contemporary books boring for they mostly lack this plot twists and other exciting elements that are present in the other genres. When it comes to non-fiction, I am definitely not doing okay. I have promised myself to read at least five of them this year and so far this August I have only read one and that is not even close to almost okay.

Age Range

Talking about the age range, I mostly read Young Adult book which is expected given my interests and age but I was shocked looking into this data that I have read a plenty of adult books also! I have not in my entire existence read an adult book years ago and look at me growing up in 2018. I was shocked to see this much of adult books! I am happy and proud of what I have accomplished. It is finally happening. You boy, is getting old.

Page Length

Yes! That is true. Your boy here is definitely raising the bar high compared the previous years. I am shocked too! I have read three books that are around 600-700 pages! Yes! I did! I am so proud of myself right now! I am sorry. This thing don't normally happen. If I am to recall, this is the first time in my reading life that I have read books more than 600 pages. Now, looking back at the graph, most of the books I have read are between 300 to 500 pages which are pretty much the length of some Young Adult books. But take a look at also and please appreciate the seven books that I have read that are more than 500 pages. They say thick books are to be called once they reach 500 pages and up. So, you boy here just read ten thick books this year. 

Number of Books

This is the first time also that I have read more than ten books within a month. January this year was definitely a crazy reading month. I just started this reading year with a bang! Look at those number and also look how they started to decline haha. You know, reading that much book consistently is very challenging. I have really struggled and let us admit it. I have other priorities too. For example, June, I have only read one book that time due to more important matters. At least this year, so far I have read a book in a month. I was pretty happy of these number so far and I know I have to still pick up the pace. 

So this is so far the reading statistics of my 2018 reading year. I am still pretty optimistic that I can get that 100 books this year but I am also open to other options like maybe trimming it down to 70 or 80. I don't know. I just have to be honest with you guys, this reading challenge is actually getting into the other aspects of my life and that means it starts to affect my efficiency to function on the other matters. I guess that is no longer normal or healthy. So I might be changing the 100 into a lower number soon. 

No comments: