BOOK REVIEW: So Far from the Bamboo Grove by Yoko Kawashima Watkins


120728

     SYNOPSIS: Though Japanese, eleven-year-old Yoko has lived with her family in northern Korea near the border with China all her life. But when the Second World War comes to an end, Japanese on the Korean peninsula are suddenly in terrible danger; the Korean people want control of their homeland and they want to punish the Japanese, who have occupied their nation for many years. Yoko, her mother and sister are forced to flee from their beautiful house with its peaceful bamboo grove. Their journey is terrifying -- and remarkable. It's a true story of courage and survival.
 I've never been in Korea or experience the terror of the Second World War, but novelist Yoko Kawashima Watkins made me feel like I was been there for a long time, cold winter of 1940, when an innocent  eleven-year-old Yoko (the author) battled death for the sake of herself and her families survival.


The author herself was the reason why I love this book, because her voice rings so clear and true. Not only does she make me see the things she sees, she makes me feel the things she feels.  I feel bad for her and her family. 

I've never been a fan of novels like this but this one hooked me from the very beginning. It was like I traveled back 60 years in the past and witnessed the brutality of the war. See people die, innocent people. It made me realized how cruel war is and it brings nothing but death. War is impractical and it made me realize that people without contentment  are willing to kill thousands of lives for their satisfaction. 

So far from the bamboo groove is a novel that took a photo of a child's perspective, a literature that will remind and even help, a person like me, how it feels to be caught in the middle of chaos. It shows us a glimpse of an apocalypse.

I adore this book so much. The story of the author was breathtaking and inspiring. Her passion in poetry and literature inspired me more. This book showed the love for writing in times of tragedy. And how writing inspired the characters, especially Yoko, to dream big. 

Above all, this book showcased the love of family. That family will always be a family. No season, no tragedy can stop and weaken the bond  family members feel to each.  It made me appreciate more the love my Mom is giving to me right now. The sacrifices my Dad did for me and my brothers. 

OVERALL RATING: 9 /10
   STORY: 9/10
CHARACTERS:8/10
  THE FEELS: 9/ 10
  ENTERTAINMENT: 8/ 10
PLOT: 8/ 10






No comments: