Book Review: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

23593321This book gripped me like I am like a hostage victim. I was at the edge of my sit the entire time. This book was indeed a good read and must be recommended to all beings that are capable of reading. This book demands your attention.
“Hell is the absence of the people you long for.”
The book was gripping and fast-paced. I don't know if it is because of the writing style but I sure did enjoy reading the book. I flew through it. I admire the world building by the author.  If the author will be credited by her works in this book, for me she should be praised more in the world building. She built the entire environment in the book flawlessly. It was almost perfect!

Synopsis:
One snowy night a famous Hollywood actor slumps over and dies onstage during a production of King Lear. Hours later, the world as we know it begins to dissolve. Moving back and forth in time—from the actor's early days as a film star to fifteen years in the future, when a theater troupe known as The Travelling Symphony roams the wasteland of what remains—this suspenseful, elegiac, spellbinding novel charts the strange twists of fate that connect five people: the actor, the man who tried to save him, the actor's first wife, his oldest friend, and a young actress with the Traveling Symphony, caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous self-proclaimed prophet. Sometimes terrifying, sometimes tender, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it."

Aside from the captivating world building. The author surely did a great job with the characters. The characters were so diverse, flawed and full or personalities that they for sure will leave impressions to the readers. 

July 24, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 22, 2018 –
page 92
27.63% "I don't like the way the story flashes back to the pre-apocalypse era."
July 21, 2018 –
page 61
18.32% "Dark and gripping."
July 21, 2018 – Shelved
July 21, 2018 – Started Reading

Another thing I like about this book is how gripping it is. This book is a certified page-turner. I was so captivated by the plot and the story that I caught myself exhausted after reading this book for a straight 4 hours. I do admire the author for making the book so balance. I do admit that it is very depressing. The book will give readers this feel of sadness and will paint the readers sky grey. But, at the same time, few pages after, the author offers readers a glimpse of sunshine and an explosion of rainbows. One of the best reads I have this year.
If you are looking for a memorable and a read that will leave you awed for days, this might be the book for you.
OVERALL RATING: 9.6/10
            STORY: 9.5/10
            CHARACTERS: 9.5/10
            THE FEELS: 9.9/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 9.6/ 10
PLOT: 9.9/10

Want to read more book reviews? Click here.  

No comments: