Book Review: Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

35504431
Image from Goodreads
“You are as real as anyone, and your doubts make you more real, not less.” 

OVERALL RATING: 9 /10
            STORY: 8/10
            CHARACTERS: 10/10
            THE FEELS: 9/ 10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 10/ 10
PLOT: 9/ 10
I was quite scared on the things that John Green stored for us, the readers, in his new novel Turtles All the Way Down. Why? First, he needs to, not beat, but at least give justice to the success of The Fault in Our Stars. Second, it has been a while since he showed us his greatness, the wait should be worth it. But after reading the book (just less than an hour ago), I was not disappointed. Here are some of the reasons why I love the Turtles All the Way Down.

J.G. Recipe
What I really love about John Green’s works is the fact that his pieces really relate to the readers. In this new novel, he tackles mental health. Again, John Green never failed to deliver when it comes to how his work can easily relate to his readers. I am not saying, that his readers have mental health issues. What I mean is that, no matter what issues or disorders are being serve by his book (like cancer for TFIOS), he always knows how to connect them to the interests of the readers. This thing – or whatever he is doing to make this “relating” stuff work, I call it the J.G. (John Green duh) Recipe.

Spirit Animal to Spirit Wookie
                Aza Holmesy, the protagonist is suffering in an obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The book somehow revolves around the reality inside a very anxious person like Aza. The readers will definitely gain knowledge on how this OCD really affects the victims’ life. This knowledge, can let the readers understand and somehow sympathize to these victims’ struggle. The book will teach readers, that mental health like OCD, can ruin families, friendships, childhood lives and dreams.
                Even though I really feel bad about Aza’s condition, she was not my favorite character in the book. Well, ladies and gents (this is not a spoiler, don’t worry), introducing Daisy! I mean, you really need to read the book so that you will know what I mean when I say, “We all need a Daisy in our life”.

Sunny Side Up Buffet
                The story involves only eleven characters, that if you include the lizard but not really lizard stuff, billionaire Tuatara. This might be not good news for the others but I am telling you, and I need you to trust me, eleven/ okay just ten, was perfect! This book will prove you that you don’t need to build a really complicated plot and mold a lot of big in attitude or personality characters to make a good novel. This book is eating a sunny side up breakfast that will taste like a king’s birthday buffet.

Pseudomembranous colitis
                As a science oriented individual who knows the stuff Azas’ brain has been talking about in the entire book, things like Clostridium difficile, Ativan, Lexapro, Epstein Barr Virus etc., makes me a really happy person. I mean, I don’t know if you get or if you will ever get this, but knowing those stuff personally and reading it on the characters mind is fun. Like that C. difficile whom Aza was so scared of, in the book it was only explained that it can kill her through diarrhea, but for what I know, it is not diarrhea but it is the disease called pseudomembranous colitis. You will mostly get it after taking bacteriostatic, protein synthesis inhibitor, acting on the 50s ribosomal subunit, lincosamides antibacterial called Clindamycin. The drug of choice for this is an antiprotozoal Metronidazole or the antibacterial which is bactericidal by the way that causes red man syndrome, Vancomycin.  I know too much, I need to stop. But, my point here is that, people will surely love this book because they will surely have a fun experience reading stuff that I just mentioned on the previous lines. Right?

And It Goes On and On
                 There are a lot of things that I want to share but I need to stop because I cannot spoil you guys. I don’t have the right to do that even though I have the power. Just read the book, whether you are a fan of the author or not. This book will make you laugh, think of shitty things that you did not expect you will think of, hate and curse because- why not?  This is a very emotional and very well constructed story that the flow of events will never let you feel a single degree of boredom. This book will make you think of things that keeps you going and assess things that spirally never end.

                If you are into things that talks about how can stars become time machines and how can a river die when the water stops flowing—stop moving on. Read this book and you will surely find infinite reasons why turtles go all the way down.

Want to read more boo reviews? Click here. 
               



No comments: