Book Review: Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity #2) by Victoria Schwab

"It wasn't easy. The world was complicated. Life was hard. And so often, living hurt. So make it worth the pain.


OVERALL RATING: 6.6/10
            STORY: 7.5/10
            CHARACTERS: 5.4/10
            THE FEELS: 8.1/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 5.2/ 10
PLOT: 5.6/10

THE WORLD IS BREAKING. AND SO ARE THEY.
KATE HARKER isn't afraid of monsters. She hunts them. And she's good at it.
AUGUST FLYNN once yearned to be human. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.
THE WAR HAS BEGUN.
THE MONSTERS ARE WINNING.
Kate will have to return to Verity. August will have to let her back in. And a new monster is waiting—one that feeds on chaos and brings out its victims' inner demons.
Which will be harder to conquer: the monsters they face, or the monsters within?

Reading Progress:
February 21, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2018 – 
page 346
 
 67.84% "I am still hoping this duology will end with a bigger and more epic plot."
February 17, 2018 – 
page 203
 
 39.8% "I just have to drag myself a little bit longer to finish this. Such a pain in the as*."
February 17, 2018 – Started Reading
December 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 8, 2017 – Shelved

Review:
I have really had a hard time finishing this book. I almost DNF it. I was really disappointed on this book that I found dragging myself till the last page. I just did not get the beauty from the world or whatever good thing the author is trying to deliver in the conclusion of a promising duology.
I have read the first book of the series back in December and I have a mixed emotions for it. I did not really enjoy the world--its darkness and creepiness. The same feeling happened to me on this book. I did not really like how dark it is. Maybe, this themed book are not really for me. The monsters and the  world system was really way off my alley. I just found the world very suffocating and almost unreadable. It was really a pain for a type of reader like me to read a this book. I just did not really enjoy the world and I can't wait to forget it.

The characters  in the first book was okay, but on this one they were horrible. I found the two main characters very off course and exaggerated and the introduction of the new characters were forced. The new characters lack development and ended very undone. I did not really think that the building and the development of the characters especially the new ones gave something good to the book.

The writing style was pretty okay. I just found it sometimes very annoying on parts that were written in poetry form. I thought first it was creative but as I progress reading I soon found it as a lazy excuse to execute how the characters really think and feel. The plot also was mediocre. Very predictable and lame. It has a potential though but I think the author felt very lazy to improve it.

Overall, I did not enjoy the book. I dislike it and I don't highly recommend it to you guys. Such a waste of time. Very disappointing. 

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: