Book Review: A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab

“I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still.”

OVERALL RATING: 8.6/10
            STORY: 8.5/10
            CHARACTERS: 8.4/10
            THE FEELS: 8.7/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 9.3/ 10
PLOT: 8.8/10


Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black. 

Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see.
Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.
After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.

Reading Progress:

February 10, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 8, 2018 –
page 101

 25.25% "I find this so far very slow. But am happy that I finally got my hands on it. Hoping that I will not be disappointed."
February 8, 2018 – Started Reading
November 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read

November 16, 2017 – Shelved

Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was not a perfect experience but I still admire the fact that I was able to dive in to the magic this book has to offer. I heard this book on every blogs I follow online and has been hyped by most of the readers. I heard a lot of good and epic things about this book and the entire series-- which made me pick this at last, even it is so expensive.

The world building was mediocre. I felt that it was really slow. The first 50 to 100 pages was not that engaging. I really had a hard time getting all the pieces together at the first part of the book because the world building was also peculiar and confusing. When I reached the 200 pages and up, the story was already so addicting and I finally had a full grasp of the world and the plot. The book became very engaging and addicting. I caught myself flipping pages after pages.


The plot was very interesting. It was really cool to know the different Londons with their own world descriptions . I was really hooked and found the plot very intriguing. The potential was big and I see this as the main reason why people on the internet love this book so much. But my personal say to this---- the plot was interesting and has a lot of potential but I think the writer failed to execute it to its best or failed to maximize this potential. The book for me was overhyped. It was not bad. It was a good read but it is not as great as what I have heard from other reviews.


The main problem I have for this book are the characters. For me they fell flat. I did not see these characters as someone with depth personalities and traits. The characters were not well defined and lack more exploration. I was disappointed for I was expecting the characters to have very strong and memorable voices. 


The book was really fun. I really enjoyed reading it. It was just over hyped. I will still read the rest of the series but for sure, this time I will lower my expectations. I recommend this book to all the readers who love interesting magic systems and plot with great adventures.


Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: