Book Review: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

26032825
“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.”

OVERALL RATING: 9.2/10
            STORY: 9.2/10
            CHARACTERS: 9.5/10
            THE FEELS: 9.3/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 8.7/ 10
PLOT: 8.9/10

Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.
And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.
To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.
In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself

Reading Progress:
February 6, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 5, 2018 –
 71.0% "I am digging this! At last!"
February 4, 2018 –
 58.0% "I almost DNF this!"
February 4, 2018 – Started Reading
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 1, 2018 – Shelved

Review:
This was amazing! I did not expect that I will love this book as much as I love it now. I did really enjoy reading it on most part and I will surely recommend this one to my friends.

This is not the first book that I have read from the author. The first book I have read from her was Valiant. I DNFed one of her book, Black Cat, because of the writing style. Now this book, her newest one has been all over the internet for the past month and it made me picked it and give it a try.

I did like the prologue of this book. I think it was catchy and thrilling. I was hooked by how straight forward and simple the prologue is that I caught myself listening the audio book for a straight two hours. There were a lot of reasons why I love this book but there were also some reasons that made me give it a four instead of a five star read.

The world building for me was shaky. Again, I liked how it started from the prologue till the first  four or five chapters.  The world building of the book fell flat and weak for me in the middle of the story. I felt that it was a little bit boring  and dragging, but I get it. I figured it out why the middle of the story felt slow after I finished the ending. The slow middle of the book made sense to me after I read the book. I realized what the author intended on those parts --and it was worth it. I was happy that I persevered in reading this book, because the ending was amazing!

The characters were remarkable. If I am too praise this book on its best element, I will praise it non-stop on how well defined the characters are. I salute the author for giving us characters that speaks with their heart, very realistic and moving personalities. The characters really made me love this book so much that I cannot stop thinking about them until now. 

The plot was all over the place--in a good way. I found the plot in some parts of the book very ambitious. But, I took it back after reading the final pages. The plot might be all over the place and ambitious but all will make sense and will come together in the end. It will leave you speechless for sure.

This book needs patience. If you want to really get the best out of this book (which is totally worth it), I suggest you need to give this book a try and bare with it till the end. You might find some problems at the beginning, like confused or the like, but I recommend that you continue reading for everything will fall into order page after page. 

I recommend this book to all the fans of Game of Thrones. To all readers who love to experience a story like no other. This book speaks with soul and connects to the readers heart and mind with such power that readers will be left speechless in the end.

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: