Book Review: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.” 

OVERALL RATING: 8.8/10
            STORY: 8.7/10
            CHARACTERS: 9.5/10
            THE FEELS: 9/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 8.9/ 10
PLOT: 8.5/10

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.

Reading Progress:
January 23, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2018 –
page 331

 71.65% "I am not a fan of this mixed flashback and current story writing style. Especially when the author decides to do it on the last quarter part of the book. It destroys momentum."
January 20, 2018 –
page 101

 21.86% "I finally enjoyed this book after two years."
January 10, 2018 –
page 23

 4.98%
January 10, 2018 – Started Reading
December 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 3, 2015 – Shelved
Review:
It took me almost two years to finish this book. I bought this back in 2016 and from there I did several attempts to pick this but most ended in DNF sessions. I hate this book and I even wondered why I grabbed a physical copy of this at the first place. The grisha universe was not really for me. I hated the shadow and bone book by the author-- and that hate radiates to this book.

The characters were awesome. I like how they were so flawed and skilled at the same time. They were made a little bit too ambitious for me but at the end I finally realized that the author made a great job in molding them---her ambition worked. If there is one thing that I will remember from this book--it's how good the characters are. 

I was not really of the writing style. I really had a hard time dragging my butt on the pages just to deal with the bad writing style. I don't know--for me I did not really like it. I hate the fact that the author mixes flashback scenes and current scenes especially on the late part of the book. I found it really annoying. It really destroyed the momentum of the story.

The world building was great. I was impressed of how the author painted so effectively the world that I hated so much. I hated the world and I did not really enjoy myself reading this book because of that. This book gave me rain, snow, piss, cold, grey clouds, dead bodies, human feces, stink of canals, rotting flesh, rust,  more rain, tides, freezing water, prisons, ugly prisoners, stinky clothes, underarm smell and lots of sweat. Yes-- you heard me, this book will give you these sh*ts page after page after page.  Credit to the author though for having a skill of making me very uncomfortable as I read the book. 

The plot was above average. I was impressed on some parts but it was not perfect. I did appreciate its uniqueness and creativity but I cannot overlooked some of the flaws. The entire picture of the story was good but I am very sure that it could have been better. The plot made by the author screamed a lot of potential and I really felt bad that she was not able to execute these potentials to the story.

I have high expectations on this book due to how well the others hyped the story and the author. But I guess my expectations were not met. I will still read the second book though (I actually bought the it yesterday).

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: