Book Review: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle


“Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. 
OVERALL RATING: 7.1/10
            STORY: 6.9/10
            CHARACTERS: 7.6/10
            THE FEELS: 7.1/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 6.8/ 10
PLOT: 6.3/10
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger. 
"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract". Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space?

Reading Progress:
January 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2018 –
page 96

 45.5% "I am really enjoying this book so far. I did not expect it will be as good as this. I am also excited that there will be a movie of this book months from now. I can't wait to uncover what this book stores for me on the following pages."
January 16, 2018 –
page 43

 20.38%
January 16, 2018 – Started Reading
January 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 4, 2018 – Shelved
Review:
I decided to pick this book when I saw the trailer advertised online. I was caught by the idea that of "read-it-before-it-hits-theaters". This is considered I think a classic book and is the first on the time quartet series.  I have mixed reactions of my experience in reading this book. I did not hate it nor like it. I was left feeling 'nah" or "meh" at the last page. 

The characters were made poorly. I think one of the reasons why this book did not really connect to me is, I did not like the characters. I don't know-- maybe this is how characters were made in the seventies (considering this is the first ever classic book I have read). The only character that stuck to me until now is Mrs. Whosit-- and all here multi-language speeches. I hate the fact that some of the characters were not flawed. The formula of the book --- introduces a perfect character guiding an imperfect character where in the end the imperfect characters learns his or her lesson and saves the perfect character. I find this formula really lame and boring.

The world building was just okay. Nothing really special and memorable. The world was interesting but it lacks the "punch" power that I am always looking for from fantasy or science fiction novels. I enjoyed the book on some parts but on most parts--I found it uninteresting. 

The writing style was really simple. It was not bad  and great. It was acceptable and bearable. The writing style makes it easy for the readers to read the book. I guess this will serve as a compliment to the author. It could have been better though. The potential was there.

The plot was forced for me. I felt like it was not well plotted and constructed. The potential of making it big was there but everything in the book really felt flat for me. I did not enjoy most of the parts and I even found some of the scenes boring and lame. 

I am not looking forward on watching the movie next month. This book was not really for me. It just did not connect to me  nor leveled the bar. 

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: