Book Review: Flamecaster (Shattered Realms #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

This is a great and promising start for an epic series. Chima impressed me with her straight forward writing style and vast and interesting imagination.

The book was not perfect. It was very entertaining and full of plots that do not demand heavy analysis. Overall it was a good read with plenty elements that need improvements. The character was bland, the writing style was mediocre, the plots were predictable but the magic system and the world of the Seven Realms were captivating.

“The problem is, hope is the thing that can’t be reined in by rules or pinned down by bitter experience. It’s a blessing and curse.” 

The characters for me was okay, They were not memorable or outstanding. I felt that they need more improvement. Almost all characters lack personality. You can distinguish them according to their roles and physical characteristics but on emotional and traits beyond these, the characters went blank. I just wished they were a little bit more of themselves, like a pinch of personality here and there and they would be perfect. 
April 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 14, 2018 – 
page 296
 
 52.86% "so far so good"
April 14, 2018 – Started Reading
December 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 18, 2017 – Shelved
The writing style was a little bit out of my comfort zone. I am not used to read books with this kind of perspective. It was hard for me at first but I got used to it quickly page after page. The author me was not playing games. She wrote a book with less drama and just went for the real deal as quickly as possible. The author gave me a story that was not dragging. A story that entertained me and kept me thinking magical things for hours.

The plots were predictable. Sad to say you can just easily guess correctly what will happen next. I do not know if this applies to everyone but for me it did. I felt that it lack some skills to really let the readers wildly think of the things that are yet to happen on the next pages. But, aside from that the book was fast paced. No dragging parts and that for me is a plus. The story was not new but it was delivered with such magic and it still gave me the things I wanted from fantasy books. I am looking forward to read the rest of the books in the series and I highly recommend this book to all those seeking a world full of magic and an excellent magic system. 

OVERALL RATING: 8.1/10
            STORY: 8.0/10
            CHARACTERS: 7.8/10
            THE FEELS: 8.1/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 8.7/ 10
PLOT: 7.2/10

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: