Book Review: The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

“But boys will be boys, our favorite phrase that excuses so many things, while the only thing we have for the opposite gender is women, said with disdain and punctuated with an eye roll.”
OVERALL RATING: 9.3/10
            STORY: 9.0/10
            CHARACTERS: 9.8/10
            THE FEELS: 9.1/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 8.7/ 10
PLOT: 8.8/10
Alex Craft knows how to kill someone. And she doesn’t feel bad about it. Three years ago, when her older sister, Anna, was murdered and the killer walked free, Alex uncaged the language she knows best—the language of violence. While her own crime goes unpunished, Alex knows she can’t be trusted among other people. Not with Jack, the star athlete who wants to really know her but still feels guilty over the role he played the night Anna’s body was discovered. And not with Peekay, the preacher’s kid with a defiant streak who befriends Alex while they volunteer at an animal shelter. Not anyone. As their senior year unfolds, Alex’s darker nature breaks out, setting these three teens on a collision course that will change their lives forever.

Reading Progress:
April 11, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 8, 2018 – 
page 100
 
 28.41% "I am having a hard time appreciating the multiple perspectives."
April 3, 2018 – 
page 49
 
 13.92%
April 3, 2018 – Shelved
April 3, 2018 – Started Reading
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
January 1, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
Review:
This book was full of violence and depression. I expected that this book will give me a vibrant and cutesy vibe--but it gave me the complete opposite.

This book was very short but I end up reading it in a span of almost a week. I am currently in my reading slump or maybe worse than that. This book surprised me and I did quite like it. 

The characters were outstanding. If you are going to ask me why I love this book, my answer will surely be how the characters captivated me. All characters in the book were well built and I connected to them the entire time. I found them realistic. Their personalities were not lame and were very true to life. This is a work of fiction but by  reading the book, the characters seems to be coming out from a memoir. They were excellent.

The writing style was good. There was a psychological vibe to it. The entire book was written in a simple manner that readers will not have a hard time understanding the plots and other elements of the story. This was written in a manner of precise technicality that I really appreciated.

The plots were not perfect if we are to base my standards. The were parts that are predictable but overall, the entire sense of the book was above average. It tackles a sensitive topic in the society that needs attention and reflection especially from young adults. The book demands thoughts to be provoked and that made it a very good novel.

Over all, I really like the book. It was dark and gripping but the message that it tries to deliver across the pages are worth the readers time. I do not recommend this to people who are looking for a light and happy read. This book is full of gray skies and realistic facts that can hurt your ego. Grab this if you love The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, for both books delivers substance our brains and hearts will remember forever. 

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: