Book Review: Warcross by Marie Lu




“Every locked door has a key. Every problem has a solution.” 
OVERALL RATING: 9.5/10
            STORY: 9/10
            CHARACTERS: 9/10
            THE FEELS: 9/10
            ENTERTAINMENT: 10/ 10
PLOT: 9/10
For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.

Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.
 

READING PROGESS:
page 271

 73.64% "I really love this book. This is the Marie that I fell in love with in the Legend trilogy. I love how she wrote all the elements of the book. The characters were well made, the plot is mind blowing and the story hooks me since page one! I can't wait to finish reading this book. Very addicting."
December 25, 2017 –
page 132

 35.87% "Okay. First of all, this book is way too different than Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.The first time I saw this book on the shelves of the stores, I thought- "Nah, No Marie Lu, you disappointed me on your Young Elites stunt, not again on this."

I apologize. I was a big fan of the author after I read her Legend trilogy (the second book, Prodigy is one of the best books for me ever). This book is epic"

REVIEW:
I admit that I was not that excited to read this book when it hit the market months ago. The reason for the lack of excitement is the fact that Marie Lu disappointed me in her Young Elite books after idolizing her epic Legend trilogy. I was hesitant to get a copy of Warcross because of this experience but after watching some book reviews on YouTube and read some reviews on random blogs, this book finally convinced me.
I just read Ready Player One and my addiction to that book still lingers in my veins until now. After reading the synopsis of Warcross, I can’t stop comparing it to Ready Player One--- until I started reading the first two chapters. This book is not like Ready Player One. Both might talk about games and the likes but the plot is very different.
The characters are well made. I mean, I connected to them and I really enjoyed them. There were some that I felt unexplored or the book lacks time to dig deeper to their story, but I guess it’s not a big deal. The characters were made to really connect to the readers and you can really empathize to what they feel, think and act.
The plot is unique. I love how the author plays her experience and hobbies in real life to her craft. I always love Marie Lu as an author who writes stories with action and fight scenes (take it from the Legend series). She wrote Warcross with such talent that the action parts are balanced. It was not too much but it was enough to entertain the readers and blow their mind. The plot was very creative and as a gamer I really appreciated the craft of the author on this book. I was really entertained.
The feels and the story are above average. This may show the experience of the author (this is her 7th book). The love story was spot on, very real and not forced. I don’t really like reading novels with romance and such, but this book felt real and balanced that I found myself enjoying the element. The actions in the book will blow your mind and will really entertain you.

Overall, this book is definitely one of the best books I have read this year. I regret and apologize for judging it so early. I will definitely recommend this to all the readers who love action, sci-fi and imaginative crafts. I am very excited to read the next book. Great job Marie Lu, I will always be a fan!

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: