Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha #1) by Tomi Adeyemi

“I teach you to be warriors in the garden so you will never be gardeners in the war.”
OVERALL RATING: 7.2/10
            STORY: 7.1/10
            CHARACTERS: 6.9/10
            THE FEELS: 7.8/10
            ENTERTAINMENT:7.5/ 10
PLOT: 6.6/10
Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls. 
But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.
Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. 
Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.

Reading Progress:
February 3, 2018 – Shelved
February 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 29, 2018 – Started Reading
March 29, 2018 – 
page 139
 
 26.48% "This is a unique way to experience new breed of magic. I am loving it so far."
March 30, 2018 – Finished Reading
Review:
This is an over-hyped book. I firmly believe that this book do not deserve the buzz and talks right now. I was so disappointed of this book and I am about to tell you why.

The characters for me are underdeveloped. They lack personality and consistency. I felt that the characters were so weak that you will hate them the entire time you are reading the book. The main character's entire build is inconsistent. I finished the book with an impression on her as an arrogant, bastard, stupid, weak and a failure character. I just hate her the entire time. There is no single character that is special or that stood out. 

The world building was interesting, given the west African element. But it ends there. The rest were trash. I did appreciate the Savannah vibe or the jungle feeling but aside from these, there was nothing more memorable and compelling. The book bored me instead of making me thrilled and entertained. The world was so small and weak that I can forget about it like hours from now.

The plot of the book was all over the place. I see the author inability to organized her thoughts or really direct the story properly. I felt that it was not rushed but it was overdone. A lot of things happened that does not make sense. Some did make sense but it was forgettable. The plot twists were unoriginal and very predictable which adds up to the reasons why this book bored me. 

The writing style was okay. But not outstanding. A generic style for a new comer. I cannot think of anything good to say aside from this. I just did not like the book. Period.

After reading the epilogue, I rolled my eyes. Like, this book is a compilation of lameness and joke. The potential was there but the poor direction by the author sums up to a trashy execution of her ideas. The world in the book and the magic system were promising but again, the author was all over the place that I did not really felt the entirety of the story. Nothing really sank to me. I did not really bring anything good memories or good thing to talk about this book after reading the 523rd page. If you want to read this book, I suggest that you do not have to get your hopes to high and really lower your expectations. I can sense that this will be for me, the most over-hyped book of this year.

P.S. I do not recommend this to people who hates slow and dragging story.

Want to read more book reviews? Click here. 

No comments: